HISTORY OF THE CHARLES HAYWARD FOUNDATION
Sir Charles Hayward was born in 1893 in Wolverhampton, Staffordshire. In 1911 he started his own business making wooden patterns for the developing engineering trade. His early involvement in the motor industry proved to be a springboard for his later success culminating in the formation of Firth Cleveland Ltd. He was Chairman from its inception in 1953 until 1973 when he retired.
Sir Charles used his personal fortune to establish and endow two charitable trusts, the Hayward Foundation and the Charles Hayward Trust. The two charities were combined on 1st January 2000, to become the Charles Hayward Foundation.
- The Foundation seeks to be an independent and effective grant maker
- The Foundation seeks to be clear and transparent in its activities
- The Foundation sees the value in supporting activities which have been demonstrated to work and can be replicated, but is also open to creative approaches
- The Foundation seeks to promote self-reliance and independence in individuals and groups
- The Foundation strives to be approachable, responsive and professional in all its dealings